You know when it’s time to replace milk and most of the food in your fridge but how do you know when it’s time to buy new furniture?
Whether you’re redecorating your Destin condo or replacing old stuff, knowing when to upgrade can prevent that slow creep of out-dated furniture. Here are some basic guidelines to know when it’s time to replace the furniture in your house in Destin.
• Did you know that your mattress needs to be replaced every 5-7 years? I’d bet that mattress in your Destin beach house is older than 7 years. Old mattresses can harbor dust mites, mildew, or mold that can cause allergies and injury.
• Pillows also need to be replaced regularly too. Similar to mattresses in your condo, pillows accumulate dead skin cells which make them breeding ground for dust mites. Wash your pillows regularly and replace them every 3 years.
• Shower curtains regularly get wet so they are excellent breeding ground for mold and mildew. Replace shower curtains every 2-3 years in your Destin property.
• Carpet replacement depends on the quality of the carpet. Medium grade carpet needs to be replaced every 5-10 years. If you can afford a splurge for your Destin beach house, high quality carpets may last up to 15 years.
• Bath mats endure a lot of wear and tear. Wash your bath mats frequently to get rid of smell, mold and mildew and replace them every 2 years.
• Sofas are another expensive investment for your condo but the cushioning degrades over time. Springs can poke out or fabric can fade. Replace the fabric in your sofa when it begins to fade or tear. Creaking sounds and poor support means it is time for replacement.
• Appliances like your washer, dryer and dishwasher needs to be replaced before they break down. If your dryer needs frequent repairs, perhaps buying a new one for your Destin condo is a cheaper option. Dryers also can become a fire hazard as they grow older.
• Examine the foam of the sofa. Poor quality foam that can easily be compressed is substandard and not worth reupholstering.
• Reupholstering antique furniture should be done by professionals.
• Reupholstering, repainting or re-purposing furniture is only a good option if the structure is still safe. If it is broken or there are creaking sounds when you sit on your chair or sofa, reupholstering will not solve the structural issue. Furniture that creaks can be unsafe to use.
Furniture and accessories have expiration dates. While there is no way of knowing for sure when that date is, being cautious can help prevent problems and accidents. Remodeling and redecorating can be fun but make sure you decide if you need to keep it or toss it before you start.